Although, by the turn of the century, cattle ranching in the area had taken a back seat to agriculture, cattle operations continued to exist in the lands of Los Tularcitos due to the outstanding hay and barley that grew on the property. Betty Breene, a 90-year old woman who started a stable in Carmel in the early 1920’s, recalls that the Los Tularcitos hay was of special quality, she states that, there was “nothing like it.”
In addition to the grain production in the Valley, orchards had developed and replaced many of the former vegetable crops. By 1914, virtually every tillable parcel of land in Carmel Valley was producing crops for market. It was around this time that the famous Carmel Valley pears were introduced.
B. The Township Properties.
To the Northeast of Lots 3 and 4 of Los Tularcitos is the portion of Rana Creek Ranch known as Township Properties.
Pursuant to the Act of Congress of April 24, 1890 entitled “An Act Making Further Provisions for the Sale of Public Lands,” the 1862 Act of Congress “To Secure Homesteads to Actual Settlers on Public Demand,” and other Federal Acts, the U.S. Government began to sell parcels of land to private individuals and issues patents accordingly.
The Township Properties which are now a part of Rana Creek Ranch were only held in large groups by various individuals. Of particular significance is the Wallace Chain, the Williams Chain, and the Marble Chain, leading up to the eventual acquisition of all these parcels by the Markkulas. Following are the chains of title for each of these portions of the Township Properties’ history.